A certified Women’s Business Enterprise with over a dozen offices stateside and abroad, Cadence Counsel is the nation’s largest diversity supplier of in-house lawyers. Cadence Counsel recruiters are former practicing attorneys and award-winning consultants who provide executive search and interim attorney placement services, document review staffing and diversity & development consulting to Fortune 500 law departments, sports franchises, technology organizations, public utilities, and more.
Inc. magazine recently named Cadence Counsel to its annual Inc. 5000 list. As the most prestigious ranking of the nation’s fastest-growing private companies, the list represents a unique look at the most successful companies within the American economy. Intuit, Zappos, Under Armour, Microsoft, Patagonia, and many other well-known names gained their first national exposure as honorees on the Inc. 5000.
Cadence Counsel is working with Cargill, the largest privately held company in the United States, on an exclusive search for a Senior Lawyer to lead North America M&A. The successful hire will be drawn to high profile work, a collaborative environment, a vibrant corporate culture, and an opportunity for professional growth and career expansion. If your profile may be a fit for this exciting opportunity, we would be pleased to hear from you.
The role: Senior Lawyer, Mergers & Acquisitions
The Senior Lawyer, Mergers & Acquisitions will independently manage the legal aspects for a portion of Cargill’s portfolio of merger, acquisition, divestiture, venture capital and joint venture deals, developing strategic legal solutions for complex business issues by partnering with business leaders. The Senior Lawyer will provide strategic legal advice and recommend action to executives and management on critical merger and acquisition issues. This position will be a critical member of the Global M&A Practice Group.
- Provide strategic, risk-based legal counsel across a broad spectrum of merger and acquisition activity, primarily but not exclusively throughout North America, to leadership, including at the executive level.
- Independently structure, draft, strategically lead negotiations and approve legal agreements, written communications, policies and other documents related to merger and acquisition activity, assist with regulatory reviews, close transactions and handle post-closing matters.
- Identify, evaluate and address complex and strategic issues of legal and commercial risk.
- Engage and oversee legal team and, where needed, manage outside counsel and related costs to achieve merger and acquisition objectives.
- Gather relevant facts and information from multiple sources using probing questions and methods and apply the results to legal research and analysis to drive positive outcomes.
- Provide strategic commercial solutions and advice to business and function leaders.
- Provide expert consultative guidance for initiating strategic long-range goals and objectives. You may provide direction to supporting team members and be a strategic contributor.
- Provide legal advice and guidance to legal colleagues relating to M&A activity.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience.
- Juris Doctor and licensed to practice law in current jurisdiction with an ability and willingness to be licensed in Minnesota.
- Ability to build deep trusting and collaborative relationships and proactively address conflict.
- Consistent and confirmed ability to drive commercial outcomes using a creative, resilient and agile approach.
- Exceptional communication, advocacy, writing and drafting skills.
- Minimum of eight years of related work experience, including significant direct legal M&A experience.
- Established expertise structuring and executing multiple merger and acquisition transactions, including prioritization, managing due diligence, drafting transaction documents, strategically leading negotiations, handling closings and integration matters.
- Significant experience providing merger and acquisition client counseling at different levels of experience and sophistication, including to executive leadership.
- Proven expertise in merger and acquisition risk calibration and the ability to provide practical, solutions-oriented advice to enable proper risk mitigation.
- Ten or more years of related work experience.
- Experience leading business and legal teams.
- Proven commitment to community service, including pro bono work.
- Proven ability to manage and mentor a team, educating, developing and growing team members.
- AmLaw 100, Magic Circle or equivalent mergers and acquisition practice experience.
- Merger and acquisition experience in agriculture, food and commodities.
- Merger analysis and regulatory filings experience.
What makes an organization last for more than 150 years? Across the decades, Cargill has remained true to the vision of founder W.W. Cargill: helping farmers prosper, connecting markets and bringing consumers the products they’re seeking. Along the way, Cargill has advanced how food and agriculture work, with breakthroughs that changed what was possible. With more than 160,000 employees worldwide, the company is using new technologies and dynamic insights to connect farmers with markets, customers with ingredients, and people and animals with the food they need to thrive.
For more information about Cadence Counsel and this exclusive opportunity, please reach out to Cadence Counsel Director, Ashley McCall, at [email protected]