The business of Fashion & Luxury necessitates a thorough understanding of the legal framework that governs the firms’ key internal activities, as well as their relationships with clients and other third parties. The “Fashion Law” courses by Legal Desire and Fashion Law Journal give an overview of fashion law which is an emerging arena of legal specialty that encompasses legal issues relating to every component of the fashion fraternity. The course will concentrate on the key industry-based legal issues from a practical point of view:
- Protection of brand through different typologies of intellectual property rights, as well as international filing and creation of domain name that can be used to protect fashion creations and models;
- Fashion business through fashion negotiations and specific agreements for the industry;
- Counterfeiting issues: from product liability to consumer protection;
- Role of ethics and initiatives by the brands in the industry.
The courses are regularly supplemented with practical cases (simulations with managers and lawyers of the fashion industry) and a case study method of teaching will be adopted wherein the participants will be delegated a brand and will be required to create all the legal compliances.
The “Fashion Law” courses are designed to provide participants with the most up-to-date practical information, benchmarks, and industry expertise on the most important areas of legal frameworks and perspectives in the fashion and luxury industries. Starting with an overview of the industry, including legal compliance of fashion brands, intellectual property, and specific agreements, the course will focus on all major stages of the fashion lifecycle and promote applied framework to the fashion and luxury industry.
A comprehensive curriculum is designed to delve deeper into the legal perspective of the fashion world. It acts as a conceptual guide to understanding the process of IP protection in fashion, laws associated with counterfeiting, ethics, and sustainability, licensing and franchise agreement, and the various redressal mechanisms in the fashion industry.
The following are the modules that are covered under this course:
- What is Fashion?
- History and Evolution
- Fashion industry and Stakeholders
- Who is a Fashion Lawyer?
- Work Profile of a Fashion Lawyer
- Legal Issues in Fashion Industry
- Laws Relating to Fashion Industry
Module 2: Compliances
- Banking & Taxation
- Corporate Compliances
- Prevention of sexual harassment at work place
Module 3: Fashion Law and Business
- Brand Setup
- Supply Chain
- Business Plan
- Marketing and Sales
- International Trade
Module 4: Fashion and IP
- Trademark and Trade Dress
- Geographical Indication
- Domain Name
- Trade Secret
- International Filing
- Brand Counterfeiting
- Product Counterfeiting
- Complaint Mechanism
Module 5: Fashion Law & Negotiation
- Types of Agreements
- Licensing Agreement
- Manufacturer Agreement
- Supplier Agreement
- Distribution Agreement
- Modelling Agreement
- Celebrity/Influencers Agreement
- Marketing and Advertising Agreement
- Non-Disclosure Agreement
- Franchise Agreement
- Employment Agreement
Module 6: Fashion and Employment Law
- Employment Nature & Agreements
- Applicable Laws (Labour Codes and Human Rights)
- Working Condition
- Prevention of Sexual Harassment
- Rights of Workers
- Rights of Fashion Models
- Welfare Schemes
The “Fashion Law” courses are designed for:
- Graduates, law students, and practicing lawyers who wish to learn the fundamentals of fashion and luxury industries from a legal standpoint.
- Graduates and students of business and economics who want to learn about the most significant legal issues in the fashion and luxury industries in order to develop cross-disciplinary and intra skills that will enable them to effectively manage core processes, particularly in small and medium-sized businesses.
- Graduates and students of Fashion, Journalism or Photography who seek to learn more about the plethora of legal issues associated with the Fashion industry.
WHY TAKE THE COURSE?
The courses are designed for law graduate students, practicing lawyers, young managers, professionals, and young entrepreneurs who are interested in tackling the difficulties of the fashion market. It’s a great way to learn about the comprehensive legal challenges and best practices in the sector. The participants will explore different pillars of fashion law such as intellectual property, business, and finance including employment law, international trade and government regulations including sustainability, consumer culture, and complaint mechanism.
The Method of teaching is Online via our own LMS portal. The teaching model is composed of the following –
- Comprehensive online live lectures
- Guest Speakers – Fashion Lawyers, Fashion Designers & other eminent Fashion and Law professionals
- Case Studies and Project Works
- Drafting of Commercial Agreements relating to Fashion Industry
- Drafting of Fashion Business Plans
- Conceptualizing legal issues in fashion
The students of both the course are assigned mock fashion brands for drafting a business plans, supply chain flowcharts, contracts/agreements relevant to their product line, compliances, etc. followed by the final brand presentation. To help the student, one-on-one sessions are organised to guide them about the assignments. The assignments are to be submitted online via LMS in order to receive feedback from the faculty.
Course Language: English
4 weeks (Certificate Course) (Self-paced Course)
+ Option of 1 Month Internship with Fashion Law Journal
- At the end of the course, a Certificate in “Fashion Law” by Dept of Fashion Laws, Legal Desire, and Fashion Law Journal will be delivered to each candidate.
- One Month Internship at Fashion Law Journal (As per the availability of Spots and candidate’s preference of Month)
- The participants will be provided with the following resources:
- Course Planner Notebook with Brand & Module Checklist
- Sample Agreements
- Fashion Business Plans
- 15+ Countries Brand Setup Compliances
- Supply Chain guide
Indian Students – INR. 10,000/- Overseas Students – 200 USD
Scholarships: Scholarships up to 30% will be offered to selected candidates. Legal Desire Media and Insights is providing scholarship upto 20% for the following candidates:
– Candidates having achievements in field of Fashion/Law
– EWS (Economically Weaker Section, Valid Proof/Certificate needs to be submitted)
– Candidates running Fashion Startups/Brands
– Fashion Photographers/Bloggers/Model
If you fall in the above category, Click here to Submit Application for scholarship
Register: As Course curriculum includes interactive sessions, mock brand setup assignments and one-on-one session, we have limited spots to continue impart quality education, interested applicants can register using the following links:
For Indian Candidates, Register Here
For International Student, Click Here to Submit details
Contact: For any queries, feel free contact : +91-8849165139 or drop an email to [email protected]