Oxford school officials destroying evidence after attack, lawyer says

Nelita Collins

Detroit — Oxford Community School officials are destroying social media pages and other evidence that lawyers for siblings who survived last week’s mass shooting want preserved, according to a Friday federal court filing.

Lawyers, who filed a $100 million lawsuit against the school district on behalf of two survivors Thursday, asked a U.S. District judge to order school officials to preserve the evidence and have social media companies restore deleted profiles and other information. 

U.S. District Judge Terrence Berg granted the request hours later and ordered Oxford school officials, including Superintendent Timothy Throne and High School Principal Steven Wolf, to preserve electronically stored evidence that relates to the lawsuit.

Attorney Nora Hanna cited several pieces of missing or destroyed information, including one defendant’s LinkedIn profile and a listing of high school administrators from the school website.

“Not only did defendants fail to take necessary steps to preserve the evidence, but they willfully destructed the evidence by deleting the webpages and social media accounts,” Hanna wrote. “Plaintiffs cannot continue to be blindsided by the defendants by having to search for what evidence is being destroyed or altered.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/oakland-county/2021/12/10/oxford-school-officials-destroying-evidence-after-attack-lawyer-says/6467243001/

Next Post

HBR Consulting's Annual Survey and Sounding Board Series Reveal Optimistic Outlook for Law Department Growth

CHICAGO, Dec. 7, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — While the majority of law departments weathered the impacts of the early pandemic economy with moderate changes to legal spending and staffing, most law departments anticipate a continued rise in legal demand that they will meet with investments in in-house capabilities, according to the […]